Monday, June 27, 2011

You Say You Want a Revolution...

... the Barefoot Running Revolution, that is.
I have purchased two pairs of minimalist shoes, and let me tell you, after one run, I'm a fan.
Nike Free 3.0
Why I'm a fan...
Reason #1: They're cute. NOT pink. but still cute. I'm hoping for a pink one to come out soon so I can trade in.
Reason #2: They make my form impeccable. I'm forced to run on the balls of my feet - like I'm supposed to! - and they propel me forward with minimal effort, thus leaving more gas in the tank for longer miles. Double score!
Reason #3: They make me fast. See above. It's the same reasoning. I run so smoothly. I FLY. Ok, not really, but it feels like it.

Proof? I ran 5 incredibly difficult miles with Lise & Sky on Saturday morning (I blame the heat and pacing more than my lack of talent!). Then, on Sunday night, I ran a 5k very easily in my new shoes. I was barely winded, I ran two of the miles at 8 minute pace, AND I included a hill. I felt so good afterward. Those kinds of runs make me love the damn "sport."

Only drawback so far is that my calves have staged some sort of rebellion against this new style of running (I guess they are not fans?). They have seized up in protest. Walking up stairs was a feat of gargantuan proportions. Hopefully, this is only temporary resistance and they will embrace the barefoot movement as I have.

In other news... Travis tells me my shoulders are noticeably stronger. Well, that's great news, because when I'm in a bikini, my first worry is that my SHOULDERS don't look good. Gosh. Hey Trav, how about them love handles? The thigh jiggle? I still can't bounce a quarter off my ass. These are the real problems here, kid.

Next run will be a 4.5-miler Wednesday after PT. Actually, PTx2 because I have Physical Therapy, followed by Personal Training. I want to try the Frees again, but apparently you shouldn't go more than 2-3 miles the first few weeks. Ugh, I hate the idea of putting those clunky stabilizing shoes back on.

So, I have to run a 5-mile race in less than a week. WTF. I am so unprepared. Hence the required 4.5 miles on Wednesday. And then I leave for the Sierras early early Saturday, and need to run up there to acclimate to the altitude. Last year, I barely ran 10 minutes before I was practically collapsing. Then I waited 2 days and ran the race and won my age division in 47:something.
We are all hoping for a repeat performance. I told myself to cut off 2 minutes of last years time, but promptly ignored that all year until this week. Stupid injuries.

By the by... I know 9-minute miles are crap, but seriously, it's like 7,000 ft above sea level. Cut me some slack!

Even if I don't cross the line first, I still get Indian fry bread and a Jolly Kone raspberry marshmallow shake afterwards, so really, who's the loser?

Next post: Race results and the OFFICIAL START OF MARATHON TRAINING!



1 comment:

  1. Good luck in the 5 miler! I expect a medal out of you ;)

    ReplyDelete